Tuesday 28 October 2014

Dartmoor here I come

I'm one lucky pony, Sunday morning Mum packed me up into my box of wheels and we headed off on a mystery trip. We headed along the motorway for quiet a while, that was ok and then we pulled up on a brigde to meet our friend Izzy who rode Amy at the Highland pony camp. I want to say thank you to the lovely stranger who stopped in her horse lorry to check I was ok, because we were parked up on the side of the road - not many people would have done that, thank you nice lady in a very nice silver lorry, you have a wonderful heart.

It then got a bit scarey, we followed Izzy's Nan (Janet) up the road that got narrower and narrower with stone walls each side. Narrow bridges that we only just squeezed over, I was watching out of the back of the box on wheels, even I had to breathe in!  Then the road got really steep and the car wheels were spinning on the wet leaves down a track that we could only just squeeze the box down. I landed on my bottom a couple of times as Mum tried to persuade the car it did want to grip on the road and take me to my new home for the next three days.  She managed it finally - phew.

I got a quick chance to check out my new home, a yummy two acres of scrummy grass. I trotted over to my new neighbour, Strider, he's 31 years old and looks amazing, he'd give Zippy a run for her money and behind his paddock was my riding companion Em, another Highland. I'm starting to get worried, we seem to be hanging out with a lot of Highlands, hope Mum isn't changing her mind about her love of Dales ponies 😞. 

There was no rest, after a short break I was tacked up, Benji was put in the lead and we headed off down the hill with Em and Izzy. They have some funny looking horses in Dartmoor.


Both Benji and I stopped and starred for a long time, but we couldn't make head or tail of them and decided it was best just to walk past. We turned off the road and headed up onto the moors, the yard is literally right on the edge of the moors, so there is no real roadwork at all.  But Benji was kept on the lead until we were really on the moors and then he was allowed to run free too. Below is the three of us heading along one of the lovely tracks.


The views were amazing, which was quiet handy as some of the hills were very steep and very long, so both Em and I appreciated the humans stopping to look as we did the hard work of climbing up the hills. 


We followed along a ridge that gave us great views of the river Dart below and some of the Dartmoor Torrs. 


After a long drive in the box on wheels and a fun ride onto the moors I was ready for my tea when we got back, and was impatient to start tucking into my two acres of grazing. Yummy, night night friends. 









1 comment:

  1. You are indeed lucky. I NEVER EVER get to go anywhere. Not sure about the narrow fall on ya bum road though. Don't like the sound of that.

    ReplyDelete