Sunday 12 October 2014

Zippy is doing more than me this week (well nearly)

Zippy has had a busy week this week.  Monday she was giving Sally a riding lesson. I got to come along too as Mum decided while the evenings were just about light enough for us to hack out round the farm we should make the most of the opportunity. 

Sally hasn't got Zippy's brakes working quiet as well as Mum would like but she has definitely got to grips with the rising trot. And we had a lovely ride around the farm, I wonder whether we will be allowed to canter soon?

Then Friday Zippy gave Isla a riding lesson. This was Isla's second ever ride and Zippy was on top behaviour and helped Isla master rising trot.  Isla's learning to ride because she is going on a trek in Argentina later this year, so Zippy is helping her to feel safe and confident on a horse. I was not allowed to help and got left in the field on my own. So I amused myself cantering around and doing handstands and seeing how loud I could call for Ziipy, it didn't work she was concentrating too hard on looking after Isla. 

Now this would normally have been a hectic week for Zippy but she had one more duty to perform - giving Mum's niece, Ellie, a ride on Saturday afternoon. Mum let Ellie ride Zippy bareback from the field, this turned out to be a mistake as half away along the road a car came and we had to go on the grass verge, as Zippy stepped down she leant to grab some grass and tipped Ellie off!

Fortunately it was a soft landing so we all walked back to the house and Ellie was only allowed back on when Zippy had her saddle on.  I was allowed to come too, which meant I got very excited and was dancing on the spot, Mum told me off because I was supposed to be being sensible and calmly leading Zippy with her precious cargo. Eventually I calmed down and we had a nice walk to the farm and back. It was a bit boring as I was only allowed to walk. 

Ellie had never trotted before so Zippy was put on the lunge and asked to do circles and she was very good. Ellie enjoyed trotting and Zippy even managed to do a slow trot when instructed too. So that's two people in one week Zippy has taught to do trotting, I think that pretty impressive. I hope one day I will be able to do the same. Mum says I'm not quiet reliable enough at the moment, she thinks my enthusiasm may unsettle beginners. 



1 comment:

  1. Well done Zippy, all that experience she has gained over the years is being put to good use. Your time will come Cyril for now you looking fab is enough for me

    ReplyDelete