Wednesday 24 October 2012

Dales are black for a reason....

I just dont't know where to start, Dales ponies have been bred for generations and we are so proud to be black - it's practical in so many ways, especially in the evening, it's a great camouflage, I become invisible.  This is good as predators, speeding cars and humans can't see me, so know one knows I am there.  So you can imagine my horror when I suddenly found myself sporting bright yellow stockings which are not only luminous but reflective!  I mean how can I stay invisible with all this gear on - oh by the way that includes an insulting yellow reflective tail band.

Well Dales read on....... I am developing an efficient method of removal.  It works like this, bare teeth grab a loose end of the leg wrap and pull, you'll find it comes off quite easily.  But don't stop there, I suggest dropping it in the muddiest patch you can find and trample on it, that way when your human puts it back on at least it is a lot less yellow.  This works well for the front legs, I'm still developing a technique for the back legs and tail bandage, when I have refined that process I'll let you know!

While I am on my ranting, in Wales we usually got up about 8.30-9am, very civilised, now I'm getting woken up at 6am, I mean what time is that! I am so bleary eyed, breakfast helps wake me up a bit, and it's great to go out to the field.  But it's this ridiculous hour in the morning that is why I am having to wear all this yellow gear!  Not only do I have to get up in the middle of the night and walk down the road in the dark but I have to come home home in the dark too!

Now if you are thinking what I thought that early starts and dark nights has the advantage on no exercise - forget it, Lynette has a floodlight back paddock! So at 7pm I find myself lunging or helping her practice with the pressure release halter, I ask you, it's hard work here, you have to earn your keep!  Got a night off tonight though, phew, rumour has it I'll get tomorrow off too, as Lynette is travelling around the country for work, need to find out how to order more work so I get more rest!  

Time to put my hooves up, will update you on luminous yellow leg removed soon!

Cyril xxxx

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you would be good at playing Hide and Seek!

    ReplyDelete