Monday 25 August 2014

Lots of apples and a few rosettes too

I've had a very busy day today, up early for the full hairdressing works before heading off to Cricklade show. Wasn't sure Mum had got the right day there weren't many horses for a horse show? It turns out Mum had got the right day, it's just we were second to go in the first dressage class Intro A. 

Now because I'm quite accomplished at walk trot tests I had to go into the open section of the class. However my regular readers will know my last walk trot test involved five breaks to canter, so today's mission was to just walk and trot. Well you can see how I did on Mum's YouTube channel http://youtu.be/Kd41fCnnr0E and if your paying attention you might notice one tiny little break to canter - unfortunately the judge noticed too!  However she liked everything else and I got my best score to date 68.7% and second place. Mum got her blue rosette and I got a very yummy apple. 


We had been competing in drizzle and horrible weather was forecast for later in the day so Mum decided now was the time to see whether our show jumping practice was going to pay off and she entered us into the clear round showjumping. Now I have never seen these jumps before so I thought it was best on my first round to carry out a full health and safety inspection and stop at each jump for a close examination before going ahead and jumping them. The last jump next to the scary tent needed a couple of extra inspections because it had what Mum called a filler in and I had never seen one of these before - but after several close inspections I deemed it safe to jump. 


After that it was easy and rounds two and three were a breeze, I was loving it (you can see all the action at http://youtu.be/FiwT-bk_Jvceven better I got lots of apples afterwards. Mum got her rosettes, so she was happy. I got an extra 'Well Done' rosette because my new fan club (the ladies looking after the clear round showjumping) were so impressed at my first ever effort they felt I really deserved it, personally I think some carrots would have been better, but hey thank you lovely ladies. 

After a short break to munch on some more apples it was time to get serious and try my hooves at another Prelim class. As I haven't yet mastered correct canter leads I was allowed to enter the restricted section of the Prelim 1 class. Mission today correct canter leads. So down the centre line and canter - opps evidently not quiet yet (no one can say I'm not keen!) more trotting across the diagonal and deep breath left hand canter (judges comments smooth transition) yes got that move nailed!  Then another trot across the diagonal before the BIG question, right hand canter lead, errrr quick panicky muddle of legs, concentrate, now Mum wants right front leg first, yes got it - yippee. Mum was well chuffed I've uploaded the full test onto her YouTube channel as well http://youtu.be/Otq58yxdS_E

Yes that is me doing right hand canter lead!


The results of all our training and hardwork meant with my correct canter leads we came first, hurrah that meant not only apples but some yummy herbal treats too, oh yes and a red rosette for Mum too. 


We didn't get too wet and I have to say a big thank you to Lynne for reading the tests to Mum so she remembered where to steer me and to Liz for being my mobile hairdresser and being patient with me when just as she finished combing my mane I had a good itch on the haynet (opps). 

I'm such a lucky pony to have a Mum who takes me out and let's me do all these fun things, can we do some more jumping soon please Mum.

1 comment:

  1. Cyril you are just amazing. Just keep getting better and better. Very wise you are to do that health and safety check first.

    ReplyDelete