Monday 6 July 2015

My first affiliated dressage competition

Sunday was a VERY big day.  I could tell straight away, because Mum woke me up early and gave me a yummy breakfast.  While I ate I had her washing and cleaning and scrubbing and shampooing my little white socks - it was going to be an important day.

Once scrubbed and plaited I was loaded up onto the box on wheels - it was going to be a VERY, VERY big day - I had haylage in the box.  I NEVER get haylage.  The last time was when Woody arrived and I got to eat his leftovers.  Hmmm I'm liking this.

We arrived at Hunters Equestrian Centre, which we have been to before so Mum and I were quite relaxed until she found out she was running late.  Honestly you'd think for such a big day she would have at least got her information correct, we were due to compete 10.20am not 10.33am like Mum thought.

It's quiet intimidating warming up at an affiliated competition.  We were surrounded by loads of big warmblood and thoroughbred dressage horses and then there was little me.  To be fair there was an even smaller pony with a very small human on, I hope they did well.  This was us in the warm up arena.



So after a quicker than planned warm up we were asked to enter the indoor arena.  We have competed indoors before so Mum and I were quite relaxed - to be honest I think Mum was so concentrating on relaxing, she forgot to ride me and left me to get on with the test.  I did my best, listening carefully to Aunty Alison who was reading the test for me.  You can see the results at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZOlMAEuHUk.  Even doing the test on my own I still managed to come 3rd with 63.75% and gained my first 2 BD points - soooo exciting.  The judge was really nice but said I needed more energy and Mum must keep quiet and stop clicking her way around the test!!!!!

We didn't have long before our second test and after some sage advice from Aunty Trish (who was also part of our cheer leading team and videographer) who told Mum to keep quiet (quite agree) and instead of clicking use her whip (not so sure about that advice).  Mum decided she had better ride me this time rather than be a passenger and the results were much more pleasing. Aunty Trish recorded it all for us and Mum has uploaded it for me at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxWExdgMiPE so you can see for yourselves what you think.  But the judge liked it lots more and gave us 68.95% which meant I came 2nd.



I got prize money for coming 2nd.  Mum how many carrots does £12 buy me?  If I keep this performance up I might be able to keep Woody, Zippy and I in an unlimited supply of carrots - yummy.  Now I know why I like doing dressage! Mum when can we go shopping for carrots, I need to spend my winnings?

1 comment:

  1. What a star. I hope you got well rewarded in carrots? and your prize money will buy you a lot of carrots, watch out your human doesn't "borrow" it.

    ReplyDelete