Wednesday 4 December 2013

1/2 a training session

Well this morning I was up early to help Mum practice her balance and to teach her how to ride bareback.  It was a training sessions of 1/2's.  Only 1/2 the floodlights were working in the back garden so it meant we could only use 1/2 the school and Mum only put on 1/2 my tack - just my bridle no saddle.  The session lasted 1/2 hour.

I suppose I could tell you only 1/2 the story too!  We spent the morning in walk, I thought it best to break Mum in slowly she normally only rides me bareback for 5 minutes down the road and back each morning and evening so 1/2 an hour was going to be a big ask.

We concentrated on bending and once we had adjusted to using just 1/2 the school we started with 20 m circles before finally ending up walking 10m circles making sure Mum turned her shoulders in the direction we were heading and concentrated hard on keeping an steady pace and not falling in or out of my shoulders (my favourite trick to see if Mum is paying attention).

Then to end the session we tried to work on free walk on the long rein.  This is something Sarah was teaching my at our last lesson.  It's quite hard as I like to snatch the bit away from Mum but we came to an understanding and we did a reasonable job.  By then it had started to drizzle, so as we had done 1/2 hour, Mum popped my rug on and rode me down to the field leading Zippy and Benji.

Now out in the field tucking into some yummy grass, munch, munch!

No comments:

Post a Comment