Tuesday 8 July 2014

Fun Friday

We are still grounded to the farm because those nasty motorbike things are still hogging our forest, hope they aren't making a mess up there!

As both Dave and Vince had passed the Larry legs test so easily yesterday Dave got introduced to a new challenge today - long reining, not as easy as it looks. Mum started the session with some traditional lunging which I could watch from my field and all went well. The the boss (Delia) took over and Dave was kitted up for long reining. Now before I explain what happened I want to offer up two items of fact in Dave's defence. To date he has been lunged with a black lunge line and today out of nowhere they suddenly turn bright white! Also humans you do not long rein a youngster in an eggbutt snaffle, you need a full cheek bit please.  

Bearing these points in mind it's hardly surprising that Dave took off in fright at long white reins trailing behind him and then didn't do as he was told because he had the wrong bit in and it was pulling through his mouth.  Honestly humans, really! Considering all this he did manage to pull himself together and vaguely grasp the concept by the end of the session. Though he is still blotting his copy book by not being the most co-operative pony to have his bridle put on and stupidly even more silly about taking it off. So all in all not the best session of the workiday.

It then got far more interesting for me and Zippy as we were both brought down to the stable block from our field. I got to go out first and finally had a chance to test out the racetrack I had seen Mum riding all the other ponies around when she came without me. I was not alone. I had Suzy for company and Nondus was her jockey. They thought Suzy would have the most chance of beating me in a race. Nondus wanted to understand how fast us Dales ponies can go and me and Benji dog were more than up to the challenge.  

I have hired Benji as my speed trainer because he is so quick and I reckon if he can teach me to gallop as fast as he can run, I would beat all the other ponies and probably all the horses too. So today was a good chance to see how my training has been progressing. We lined up level for our first gallop up the field, too easy Benji and I won hands down and Suzy came a good last. So in the spirit of sportsmanship and recognising I am fitter than Suzy because Mum takes me out lots and only has me to ride whereas Delia has three to ride and 12 ponies to look after, so Suzy can't be expected to be as fit as me, I let her have a head start on the second race up the hill - still beat her!  Better persuade Mum to buy Benji some bonio's as a reward as his training is certainly paying off, still can't quiet beat him yet!

Once I and Suzy were settled back into the stables all the old girls got to go out together for a potter.  Mum rode June, Nondus rode Zippy again and Delia got to ride Katy. Old girls refers to the age combinations of either horse, rider, or horse and rider - I'm not making any comment beyond this, it would be more than my life is worth!  They were very boring and just had a walk and short trot around the racetrack, it's a race track ladies your supposed to race not wander along chatting!

After their leisurely stroll we were all turned back out into our fields for a good munch on some grass.  Zippy and I have a whole big field to ourselves. I like to wear my ghost rug, the other ponies call me a southern whimp, but hey I'm not the one getting bitten by horse flies!


Mum brought us up some tea which included Zippys medicine to help with her arthritis. Then the humans all disappeared off down the road, oh we know where you were going, it's no good pretending  otherwise, they were off to the Red Lion for a big pub dinner and a glass or two of wine, I'm not too sure I approve but they were back at a reasonably sensible hour. I know because Zippy and I were keeping watch as our field is alongside the drive, so they couldn't sneak out or back without us watching them!

No comments:

Post a Comment