Friday 11 October 2013

Left hand canter lead........what???????

Where does the time go, I have been very busy trying to achieve left leg canter lead (I still have no idea what Mum is on about - but I'm doing my best to understand!)

So in an effort to get Mum to be a little clearer about what she wants I persuaded her to take me for a lesson with Sarah, see her website, she's a great trainer  http://www.newhostables.co.uk.

Now this meant being loaded up into the spy can on wheels and having a half hour journey on my own, easy peasy! Mum was most impressed that when she opened up the can at Sarah's I was standing there all cool and relaxed and not the steaming pony I had been last time.  In fact I kept trying to jump back on the front door so I could be as tall as all the posh dressage horses that hang out at the yard.

Off we went for our lesson, I was hoping Sarah could explain to Mum how to ask me clearly for this 'left leg canter lead' it's all very confusing.  I'm happy to canter but I'm not too sure why Mum wants to worry about which leg I'm on, surely as long as I don't fall over that's ok?  We started out ok and I managed a couple of times to do what was required but it was still all a bit confusing and both Mum and I got out of breath so we changed to free walk on a long rein - hey listen to me knowing all these fancy dressage terms.

Now I started to get this, I've got to walk holding the bit nicely in my mouth and not poking my head forward or tucking it into my chest.  If I tuck it into my chest Mum puts her hands together and this is a signal to lift my head up a bit - ok got that!

Then she wants me to take drop my head down to the floor, marching forward but not snatching at the bit.  This was a bit more tricky, I get a bit impatient, but we did some work in a circle and Sarah explained to Mum what to do, so I would put my head down more slowly taking the bit with me, rather than snatching out of her hands.  I think if Mum keeps practising this we will get better marks in our next test.

Hmmmm then Sarah had another go at getting Mum to work on my canter. Listen ladies, I'm only young and only 4yrs old and there is only so much information a pony can teach her one legged Mum in a lesson.  Personally I think Mum having a weak left leg and ankle from her operation has much more to do with the problem then me!

Several tactics were tried; from creating good left hand bend (well that's a matter of opinion on the quality of the bend), then they changed their mind and decided to go for right hand bend to make me fall on my left leg - ladies please make up your mind, you are confusing me!

When this failed the old faithful pole was brought out, enough is enough, I'm now tired and grumpy, which meant I'd had enough. It's hard to tell humans this, so I had to resort to bucking and cow kicks - they got the message and we compromised, I managed a step of whatever this left hand canter lead is and we agreed to call it a day - hurrah.  By now I am one hot sweaty pony!

But at least it was time to go home.  Thank you Sarah, I think I'll give Mum a chance to practice and then hopefully when we come back she will be a bit better and you can help her refine her technique - well here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment