Sunday 28 February 2016

Brothers Trec

Woody here, I finally got to out and do something exciting, sadly I had to take my big brother Brian with me too. We both loaded perfectly into the box on wheels with no squealing, kicking or biting - much to Mum's amazement. Well we knew we needed to behave if we wanted to go out. 

We arrived at Wickstead to have a go at a proper Trec competition, being run by Wessex Trec. Both Brian and I were entered into the In Hand Clear round class. Brian got to go first, so I was left tied to the back of the trailer with my own personal helper, Val. She was visiting from Wales, but I didn't need any help as I was happy eating my hay and watching all the other ponies and traffic. 

just want to say it's not fair because Brian go to swot up on the course plan before the day. I never got the chance!



Brian got to take the easy route, as Mum said that way he was pretty much guaranteed a rosette.  All he had to do was walk through the bending poles (easy peasey); walk along the corridor (twice - also easy); then squeeze between some barrels before walking over the tarpaulin ditch. I don't think Brian saw the scary tarpaulin because he walked over it like it wasn't there. He was very pleased to win his first ever rosette. This is his clear round http://youtu.be/wPGhbRp0wDk

It was then my go.  I had lots of fun running around in the warm up arena. There was so much to look at. My favourite was the big horses in the arena practicing their jumping, I so wanted to go play with them, but Mum said I have to wait until I can carry a human before I can go play. I also had a good look at the scary signs which actually when you hide behind Mum and creep up on them slowly, really aren't that scary. Before long it was my turn to go in. We have to do five obstacles of our choice. So we started with the easy bending poles and then walked the corridor. Then suddenly out of nowhere Mum started running, whoa, where are we going?  I couldn't see where we were going until suddenly we were at a jump, whoa where did that come from?  Mum sometimes forgets I'm only a baby and I know I like my jumping but I do need some warning that we are going to be jumping and a chance to see the jump first!  Once Mum had repositioned herself and me so I could actually see what in was jumping that was fine and I just popped over like a pro. 

Next was the squeeze between the barrels that was fine and then the scary tarpaulins ditch. Now I know the rules and as long as you go between the white and red cones it has to count, it wasn't my fault I clocked that the humans hadn't filled the ditch to the end and I could squeeze between the tarpaulin and the white cones. Mum however made me do it again properly - spoil sport! Due to Mum's incompetence at rushing me towards the jump I couldn't see I didn't get a clear round. I would have done if she had let me do Brian's course but she wanted me to do the harder option. Humph.  Hopefully I can go out and have another try soon. Here's my video http://youtu.be/LfamWegPUGw

Before we were allowed to go home Brian was entered in a ridden Newcomers class. He did really well, it was his first ever ridden Trec class. He hasn't really started cantering much but he did manage to canter all the way around the arena without breaking, which was very clever. He then trotted both the bending poles and the narrow corridor before he reached the 'jump'. He had been practising walking over jumps so Mum asked him to do that but he decided it was too big to walk over it and so tried to jump it from a standstill which made Mum squeal, which surprised Brian so he ended up knocking down the jump with is back feet. Think we need to give Mum some jumping practice!  He trotted through the squeeze really easily and then Mum let him down again. She walked into the standing circle and he stood their perfectly not moving at all for 10 seconds but Mum didn't realise he still had a back foot outside of the circle so he got zero for that - very unfair, hope you have learnt from that Mum!  He was foot perfect on the s bend which is very tricky and walked the ditch like it was not there. He also did the led corridor perfectly too.  His final test was the mounting block, which he stood perfectly while Mum got on, but then stepped backwards opps. I think for his first Trec and second ever competition he did really well, the video of his efforts can be seen here http://youtu.be/7u0AA8oCy04. I hope I do so well when I can be ridden, next year - so exciting can't wait. 

I really enjoyed my outing with my brother, I hope we can go out again together soon. Signing off now the Trec Brothers xxx


1 comment:

  1. Always the humans that have to spoil things. Looks like both you boys had fun regardless. I NEED my human to get some transport so we can go do things like this.

    ReplyDelete