Saturday 6 February 2016

My first ever dressage competition

Last Sunday was a BIG day. My first ever competition. As this was only going to be the 10th time I had ever carried a human, I knew it was going to be a very important day. I was loaded up into the box on wheels. I'm so used to this now I have started to load myself. 


We arrived at Rein & Shine nice and early. Which gave Lynette and my film crew Nondus plenty of time to tack me up. We first went into the huge arena to warm up. Much to my embarrassment I had to wear a red ribbon in my tail, not because I was a Dales pony but because I have been known to kick. Evidently this is not good but it did mean I got a lot of space to myself. 

Soon we had to go into the competition arena and I warmed up next to a very smart coloured pony. I stepped up into the arena and happily walked over the white planks, which lots of horses spook at. We walked up and down and I had a few looks at the advertising boards but then the bell rung and it was time to start. 


I concentrated very hard on what Lynette was asking me, I did have a few wobbles but Lynette and I are still practicing our steering. I did a good shoulder in across one of the diagonals, but evidently that's not needed just yet. I think it was worth showing off my future potential, even if it did cost me a mark or two!

You can see my whole test at http://youtu.be/FqENYjS2NaI , thank you Nondus for recoding my efforts. I finished off with a very smart halt. 


I think I did the Dales breed proud, I got 62.6% and qualified for Rein & Shines Championship on 28th February, not bad for my first ever outing!!!!



1 comment:

  1. I have to say it again sorry I know I'm repeating myself, but Brian you're amazing xx

    ReplyDelete