Sunday 28 February 2016

Zippy R.I.P.

Cyril here. I'm very heart broken to say that my very best friend and mentor, Zippy, passed away this week. She had been battling with pedal bone disease over the past few weeks, we thought she had beaten it, but sadly it got the better of her. I'll miss her greatly she has taught me so much. She was an amazing Riding Club horse in her day. Below this was her winning dressage at the prestigious Henley Horse Show, maybe that's where my dressage talents come from?


She also competed at Hickstead, show jumping for the Riding Club. Woody has ambitions to follow her lead and we both hope that one day we might be able to emulate her cross country skills because I know that was when her and Mum were at their happiest. 


Not only did she teach Mum lots but she also galloped into Sarah Terry's life and enjoyed loads of pony club fun. 


It's hard to remember all the human lives she touched, Mum's next door neighbour, Sue; her previous owner Michelle; Mum's friends - Sally Lincoln, Michelle Cole, Gemma & Jess Phillips among many others and Mum's niece Ellie, for whom she loved to stand and have her hair plaited. 


That doesn't mean Mum stopped loving her when she couldn't compete anymore. Zippy was an amazing pony and has touched so many horse and human lives. Her first love was a huge Hanovarian, called Nipper who she fell in love with on first sight, I'm not too sure that this is demonstrated in the picture below. 


After that she discovered us Dales and never looked back.  I've been told she could be hard to get on with but we hit it off straight away, and she accepted Woody as soon as he arrived too. Then when Brian turned up she couldn't believe her luck, and I got a bit jealous as she really took a fancy to him and he became very protective over her. That's not to say we all didn't get on, because we did. 


I know Mum misses her and Woody has a huge responsibility as he has been given her stable. He's taken his role very seriously ensuring he has a cheeky happy smile for Mum each morning as he pops his head over the door. He's also determined to replicate her bolshy, pushy, head strong attitude, though I'm not too sure Mum really appreciates it, though it does seem to make her laugh. 

Mum last rode her on 22nd December 2015, when she was being her head strong self and had been soooo keen to get down the road to visit me and Woody, that Mum had to ride her in a Pelham - she was a real devil unto the end, even at 28 years of age!  Mum even caught her last ride on Zippy on camera, the absolute classic between the ears shot!


We will miss her so much, Woody because he was her baby sitter when I went away, me because I was her favourite and we had a very special bond until the end and Brian because he just loved her. We all have been very lucky to have her in our lives. I know she taught Mum a lot and for that I'm thankful as I have benefitted from all that teaching. 

Zippy we love and miss you. I'm pleased you are not suffering anymore and that you are reunited with your first love Nipper and your much loved doggy friend, Sammie. Woody, Brian and I will strive to make you proud and we will try to master the art of cross country and in our efforts make you and Mum smile. 

Sweet dreams my best pony friend.


Cyril, Woody and Brian xxxx








No comments:

Post a Comment