Sunday 7 September 2014

Deploying my new hairy pony camp skills

Well who would guess that I would be putting all my new found hairy pony camp skills to the test within the first week of getting home.  It's been a busy week with a circle lesson which included a lot of sideways work on Tuesday evening at Helen Coles yard in Stockley, only to be followed by another lesson with Janice at Hulberts Green on Wednesday morning!

Wednesday was extra interesting as I was not travelling alone and I was not travelling in my box on wheels.  Instead Mum had attached her car to a very different box down the road and it turned out to belong to my relative Eric.  Eric was not keen about going into his box on wheels and after messing the humans about Mum had a turn and made it very clear very quickly to him he had little choice and he soon decided the safest option was to jump in.  Eric's box on wheels does not have a ramp.  I've never seen a box like this, so I had to take a step up to get in.  Well who would guess all that different surface practice at hairy pony camp and climbing on boxes would come in useful so quickly.  Totally un-phased I hopped straight in.


We had a great lesson with Janice, Eric was a bit rusty but half way through the lesson remembered his lateral work and gave his rider, Jo, a massive shock when he side stepped like a pro to the edge of the arena, making Mum and Janice laugh with her squeal!  I was my usual calm and professional self and made sure I left a good impression on Mum's instructor, Janice.  I like her as we were allowed to do some jumping at the end, which was great fun.  Eric hasn't jumped since Mum used to ride him several years ago but he was up for it and dashed in enthusiastically, while I maintained a very sensible and steady canter and popped the jumps like the pro I'm becoming. 

Sadly Mum is not very experienced at parking the new box on wheels which meant as she had parked it down hill, Eric and I now had a HUGE step to climb to get back in.  Ok we managed but Mum next time just remember we have been carrying you for an hour and maybe park it the other way round so we only have a small step next time!  Eric didn't take as long to load going home and I clambered straight in like a good pony should.

I think Mum must like Eric's new rider, Jo as we seem to be doing a lot together and I needed more of my hairy pony camp skills on Saturday when we went for a ride together up on the hill.

The first skill I needed to deploy was the walking on words, as we reached a 'slow' on the road.  I obeyed and slowed just a little to take a look and then walked right over like it wasn't there.  I got lots of big pats for that, ok so maybe they are not too scarey now.

As if that wasn't enough I then had to show Eric my galloping and Le Trec skills.  I had mastered trotting under the fake branches at camp but decided to up the ante out on the hack and opted for the full speed gallop (as practised in Cirecenster Park with Amy) under very low hanging branches (as per Le Trec training though I'm not sure we even had the legally required 10cm clearance) Mum's crouching was excellent and I came through a long line of trees with my rider still on top!

Jo also managed to stay on Eric, though I'm not sure we didn't give them whip lash from the pinging branches as we fell underneath.  It was a good ride and Benji had come along too, so by the time we got to the bottom of the hill we were all ready for a slow walk down the lane to cool off, before tucking into a big tea.

Who would of thought I'd be able to use so many of my newly learned skills so quickly, I wonder which skills I will need next?

No comments:

Post a Comment