Sunday 7 September 2014

Galloping good time at hairy pony Camp - Part Four

Sunday morning at camp meant we had a line up of seven hairy ponies for a photo shoot - yeah not as easy as it sounds, a few of us were fidget pants and Rannoch wanted to make sure they got his best side - which he thinks is his backside! So we ended up with some interesting photographs.  I haven't got my hooves on any of these yet but as soon as I do I'll make sure to post them for you. You won't be able to miss me in the line up six cream/grey Highlands and a black dales - Mum keeps calling me a the black sheep of the family, Mum I'm a horse not a sheep, sometimes I do worry about her!

Still all seven of us paraded out of the yard, across the road and into the lovely grounds of Cirencester park.  This was looking good copious amounts of grass in all directions it was hard to decide what to do first, eating was up there but Mum was on her 'it's not a picnic' mode so snacking seemed out of the question. 

Rannoch tried to liven the ride up with some jigging and jogging, he got sent to the front for his misbehaviour, which was all in his plan and he settled into the lead with Willow.  I decided to take the rear guard along with my new pony friend Amy.  I think I like Amy because she is 24years old and reminds me of my field companion Zippy whose 28.  These wise old birds have a lot going for them and having a toy boy is great for their street cred! However our ride was only going along at a boring walk pace.  Ummmm humans wide expanse of grassland being wasted just doing a walk.

Mum obviously read my thoughts and hatched a plan with Amy's rider Izzy.  While the rest of the gang walked (boring) off down a track, Amy and I suddenly headed off in the opposite direction across some very lush grass, the going was good.  Our walk became trot, became canter to the end of the grass field.  At last some fun, after discussion with Amy and Izzy, it was agreed to have a race back down the field, the first to the road would win.

Mum even gave us both a count of three, then zoooooom, off we dashed in a gallop.  I guess it was a bit unfair because I'm only five and quite fit I soon showered Amy in a cloud of dust and easily won that race.  Yipheeee, that was fun, Amy was now jig jogging and we slowly trotted to catch up with the others. 

We carried on through the park with the rest at walk again (boring). You can't believe we were walking along such lovely grass rides like the picture below.


It was too much for Mum and me and so we agreed with Amy and Izzy (our partners in crime) to head back along the wide grass path we had just come along.  To start with Amy and I were a bit confused but as the others disappeared into the distance and around the corner I suddenly had a sneaky feeling Mum and Izzy had something fun planned. 

Yes another race.  This time Mum thought Amy and Izzy should have a bit of a head start, which left me dancing on the spot for a while, then eventually Mum let me go and I went charging off to try and catch Amy - I tell you what for a 24 year old she can't half shift, it took all my zooming to catch up with her and when I did she put in another spurt by the time we got to the top of the ride we called it a draw and we were allowed to walk and catch our breath back.

All four if us were grinning all the way home. I had the last laugh though, being black the mud doesn't show too much, but Amy being a beautiful white colour (well she was when we left) had to have a proper scrub down when we got back, which she did not appreciate.  Below is my partner in crime Amy with Izzy, before the ride when she looked Persil White (or any other brand of good washing powder white). 




No comments:

Post a Comment