Monday 1 September 2014

Jumptastic at Hairy Pony Camp - Part Two

I love waking up to find a big bowl of breakfast at my feet, I mean how good is that.  So I tucked in along with my new best mate Rannock. I think I have to thank him for getting so many yummy meals as Mum felt she needed to feed me too.

Rannock, Isla and I were all grouped together to have a fun jumping lesson on Saturday morning. Now existing readers will know I am starting out on my jumping career and I am quite enjoying it but generally I like to have a look at the fence first to do my standard health and safety check and make sure there are no trolls the other side. Mum was hoping that I could learn to be brave enough to risk jumping them first time without carrying out my checks. Ok Mum I'm up for the challenge. 

It started easier enough trotting over a green and orange pole on the floor, yeap I can do that without stopping, easy peasey.  My new admirers watching and filming me said I had a great trot, that's what we dales do.

Our teacher Janet was being particularly kind and then gave us a challenge of just a slopey pole, no problem I can do that too. It's at this point I have to digress slightly as Rannock was not at all keen about the purple and white poles, even though I had gone straight over without looking.  Now I have a theory about this and I believe it's because Highland ponies are very colour adverse. I mean you only have to look at all the ponies at camp and with the exception of myself and Wheatsheaf they are all going to grow up to be white.  They may be fancy cream Duns, or greys at the moment but evidently they will all go white. So this is my theory, if you live in the highlands and only have white coloured friends then purple is a seriously scarey colour, wherease us dales come In all sorts of strong bay and black colours so purple looks a little dull to us.  Well that's my reasoning why Rannock doesn't like purple anyway.


Back to jumping and the purple slopey pole became a cross pole....

And then we started to out a course together jumping a slightly narrower upright...


A super scarey super bright jump, but I was so on a roll I never considered stopping to have a look I was having too much fun.

And then finally to finish the last jump was a plank.


Do you know I never stopped and looked at one of the fences, I was so caught up in the moment and concentrating so hard on not letting all you dales ponies down in front of the Highlands, I completely forgot about my health and safety checks!  Mum was very pleased with me and I was the only pony to do the complete set of jumps including the plank. 

Rannock did master trotting over the scarey purple poles, below he is going over his favourite green and orange pole (green for grass and a lot of the dun highlands look orange - that's why it's not scarey to him), doesn't he look smart. 

Isla was very good at jumping and she did all the jumps she was asked to jump, she did stop and check a couple of times but like me she's learning and obviously has been taught by other ponies the importance of health and safety, so thank you Isla for checking the jumps for me. Here she is in full flight over the highland scarey purple cross poles.


Well what an entertaining morning, we all had so much fun, ponies and humans had big smiles on their faces.  As a reward Rannock and I got turned out into our small electrickery fields for some serious eating.  Little did we know we were going to need all our energy and concentration for the afternoon session doing Le Trec????????






No comments:

Post a Comment