Thursday 14 February 2013

Fridays test ride

I have had a long rest while Mum's leg has been in plaster cast (since 5th Dec) and then in a brace (since 15th Jan). Now officially Mum is not allowed to ride until sometime in March when her brace comes off, but both of us are getting a bit bored by playing by the rules. Regular readers will know that Mum is sneaking rides to and from the field on Zippy - as she can be ridden bareback, so her feet don't need to be in stirrups which is quiet safe (supposedly).

Well Friday morning last week, Mum snuck out from the office and tacked me up, while no one was looking. We sneaked out of the front gate and Mum jumped on board. Now most people who haven't ridden their three year old for over two months would probably have lunged their pony first. However Mum and I have an understanding that we both need to look after each other, which is based on trust, so she didn't worry about any 'preparation' and just jumped on and we headed off down the road on our own. I think this was about the 8th time I have ever been ridden in my life!

This was a very important test ride to see if Mum and I could break the rules and get her riding earlier than the doctors said she could! Mum decided to start with her feet in my stirrups just in case we had any frights. She needn't have worried all was good. Just as she got on board two horses went by in the direction we normally head off in, so we decided to go in the other direction, heading off towards Harris Croft Equestrian Centre. There were horses to say hello to, the ones that are stuck in their stables all day (poor things), people pushing rolling buggies, cars, lorries, it was a busy stretch of road. I like busy it means there is so much to look at.

We only went on a short adventure, as I am really not that fit and Mum was not too sure about her ankle (I think it ached a bit as she did take her feet out of my stirrups on the way home). It was great to go out and both of us had a huge smile on our faces when we got home.

I hope this is the start of our adventures together, I so love going out with Mum.

2 comments:

  1. Cyril you are truly amazing - we are very proud of you! We name you an honorary long ears for calmness in the face of the chaotic world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ditto that comment. You truly are amazing. What a boy. I understand humans breaking rules. My human was told not to last year until after her brain scan in August. She lasted until end of Feb. Oops.
    I have an agreement with human. If we come back from a ride together I get the biggest carrot in the bag. But if we make our way home seperately....oh dear no carrot. Human says it works! If she wants to believe a carrot keeps her on board who am I to complain?

    ReplyDelete