Thursday 21 February 2013

Rodeo Pony 1 Human 0

Mum came back from Glasgow last Friday and Zippy & I were very pleased to see her. Even more exciting Saturday morning I was tacked up and allowed to be lead pony down to the field. Yes Mum rode me and I led Zippy down to the big field.

I was a bit unprepared for leaving Zippy at the big field, I had presumed she would be coming with us but I boldly continued down the track, over the canal and then into the next big grass farm field. Now you need to remember that Zippy & I had been left on the horse yard for three days with no where to stretch our legs and it all got a bit much for me so I just had to do a little rodeo (forgetting Mum was on board) well by the time I finished she wasn't any more!

I only put my head down and did one of my super impressive bucks, well as Mum is not riding with her weight in her heels (not my fault, the poorly fetlock is her current excuse) I suddenly found Mum flying through the air and she landed on my head! I'm not that strong so dropped my head to the floor and Mum graciously slid off, landing on her feet - quite impressive really, equally impressive was the language she used!

Well I was in a bit of a tiz by then, Mum took precautions and decided not to remount (I think she feared a repeat performance and I strongly suspect she would have got one too!) but she did make me walk to the end of the field further away from Zippy, I was not happy. Mind you Mum was not happy leading an over excited pony back to the field either!

Mum got revenge by making up a temporary lunge line and made me run around in circles, this involved a lot of rearing, bucking & tugging but Mum was not to be moved and in the end it was easier to relent and do as I was told, so I ended up trotting lovely circles in the soggy wet field.

Being totally crazy Mum then got back on board - though it was in the safety of our horse field, with Zippy grazing close at hand, and rode me around for a few minutes. I behaved so she felt better about life and untracked me finally, leaving me to graze in peace with Zippy.

Zoe I didn't get any carrots that night, let alone the biggest one in the bag - I have taken note!


3 comments:

  1. Oops Cyril, this is not a good idea, humans are not very impressed by our bucking (unless they're watching from a distance and then they think it's cute.... hmm odd!). Your human is very brave with her poorly fetlock, please look after her, then your carrots may resume :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no poor Cyril. Hope your human is ok. She didn't hurt her fetlock did she? I find humans don't take kindly to flying dismounts. No carrot oh dear. If you want to impress her save your most impressive bucking for when she can see properly. They can't really appreciate the athleticism when they are on top of you. I am sure carrots will be back on the menu in no time.
    You must be pooped after all that excitement not to mention all that running round in circles. Sleep well young man xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooo, not a good idea to do that to human. Specially one that's just recovering! Hope she's OK.

    ReplyDelete