Sunday 25 May 2014

Family outing

When Mum arrived this afternoon Zippy and I were snoozing in the field shelter a million miles away dreaming of grass. Mum caught Zippy but let me through the gate too, I went from sleepy waddle to galloping bronco in all of two seconds, which woke Zippy up who decided to canter after me. She might be 28 but when she puts her mind to it Mum still can't hold her, the lead rope went flying as did our hooves and Mum just looked on in astonishment.  Several minutes later Zippy finally ran out of puff and let Mum catch her I continued for a few more minutes before galloping onto the yard, and scaring Benji as I came to a screeching halt. 

Mum decided Zippy needed a treat so after a good groom, which meant all Zippy's white fluff had blown all over me, all four of us set out up the road. Yes all four! Mum riding me and leading Benji & Zippy. Mum did her usual trick of threading Zippy's lead rope through Benji's lead. So Benji pulled Zippy along and Mum didn't get stretched in two. 

It was a slow pace but we skilfully manoeuvred into a single file everytime a car went past, which was only a couple of times, thank goodness for quiet roads. Zippy doesn't like to do a lot of road work and it took us 25 minutes to do a mile round trip, basically up to the dairy farm and back. Boring!

Mum must of sensed my boredom, and I don't think Benji was overly impressed so we dropped Zippy off home and went for a good canter around the farm fields, yipheeee, much more fun. Benji found a deer and decided to chase it so Mum and I used that as an excuse for an extra canter as we chased after him.  Benji & I managed 3 miles in less time than it took us to do one with Zippy!

It wasn't long before we were back home for some more yummy tea. Mum had repaired my favourite ghost rug, so she put that on me and led Zippy and I back out to the field at a much more sedate pace than we came in with!  Head down for some serious eating to replace all those calories we burnt off, yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment