Saturday 24 May 2014

My first jumping lesson

Wow nobody told me how much fun jumping would be!

Mum turned up this morning and I was loaded up into the can on wheels and taken to a new place called Charlton Park. Nice place, a horse trotted over in the field next to the arena to say hello and some sheep with curly horns drifted over too. 

It was hard work to start with, Mums instructor was a lovely lady called Polly Williamson, she's very experienced and has played Badminton with her horses in the past, but now she teaches lots of people, from fluffy pony owners (I don't need lessons!) to humans of huge stupid goofy thoroughbreds - sorry guys but you do come with a reputation!

So to start Polly had to teach Mum to bend me in the direction I'm going and from trot pop me over a corner pole into canter. I know this is an important lesson so everytime Mum didn't bend me properly I cantered on the wrong leg to help reinforce Pollys teaching - I think Mum was getting it towards the end of our canter session. 

Then it got more exciting and we started with poles before working up to a small jump. There was a discussion on whether we should teach Mum from trot or canter, my vote was for canter but Polly thought trot was better. I was loving this, let me at those poles. Mum says it's the first time she has ever had to approach poles and jumps in trot and being told to think walk!!!!!  Hey ponies this was fun but Mum thinking walk made me slow down to a sensible trot but hey I loved cantering after the jump and even got to join up two jumps together - so cool. 

Polly hasn't met me before so doesn't know how brave I am and how a good a team Mum and I make. So she decided to test me by putting what she thought was scary white blocks in front of the jump - was she impressed when I didn't even bat an eyelid we just popped over the jump like they weren't there. Need to try harder next time Polly!

I so loved my lesson I love jumping, it's so much fun.  I hope I can do some more soon. Also need to say a big thank you to Polly, she totally gets me and knows how to teach my Mum to do things properly so we get it right first time. I'll keep testing her Polly don't you worry but I bet we are doing wicked canter transitions by the time you see us next.

Loaded up and home for some of my yummy new tea. Mum has decided I'm growing again and not putting enough weight on, so she is giving me this very yummy build up mix. Thinks it's working I have much more energy, and Mums pleased because I'm not silly on it either - honestly Mum don't you know me yet, us Dales ponies are the ultimate in sensible breeding. 

Sorry no photos this time fans, rain stopped technical camera play, hopefully next time, by which time I will have perfected my parabolic curve - hey listen to me knowing all the lingo - watch out Hickstead here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment