Saturday 24 November 2012

Time to test the rider

Well as I have been doing so well and passing all my exams with flying colours, I only thought it fair this morning to test Lynette's skills out - after all it is all about team work!

Tacked up the drizzle I found myself in the back garden. It was good to see that Lynette has already learnt to double check and then triple check my belt is tight enough. So off we walked around the paddock to explore its finer nuances.

Now Lynette knows Benji annoys me, so why she left him running around I really don't know. But eventually his running around in front of me and teasing got too much and I had to tell Lynette in the only way I knew how with a short display of rearing, bucking, lungeing all at the same time.

I was impressed not only did she stay balanced on top of me but she stayed very calm and just told me to go forward - so I did! I tried the trick again a bit later just to make sure it wasn't a one off fluke, but she just did the same again and I was even allowed a little trot forward from that one. So rider has passed her first test too.

I think this could be turning into a bit of a competition on who can devise the most difficult test - because ponies ears up and listen, what happened next was very mean.....

Now as most of my regulars readers will know, I came to live with Zippy after being at a stud with loads of great Dales ponies of all ages, so I have never been short of company. Well today the world ended as I knew it; I was left ALONE! Yes all alone not a pony in sight.

Lynette decided to lead me to the field first just the two of us - now this is not our normal routine and I couldn't decide if I was excited or to be really honest just a bit scared, but Lynette was with me so that was ok. We stopped to chat to Mary & Keith and then walked down to the field, I had to put in a couple of rears and some trotting just to release my adrenaline and to let Lynette know what I was feeling.

Well she quite clearly wasn't listening as she turned me out into our field on my own and then LEFT ME! I couldn't believe it, I knew she must have left another pony in here somewhere so I went charging off round and round to find them, neighing so they would find me - but no one was there.

Just when I was starting to get REALLY scared Zippy came cantering down the road to my rescue. Lynette had been leading her but she was going too slowly and Zippy was concerned because she couldn't find me but could hear me, so she escaped and came as quickly as she could - phew!

Both Lynette and I were quite hot and sweaty by then but with Zippy and I reunited in the field all was well and we could both go back to eating. So I am going to spend the rest of the day eating and devising my next rider test!!!!

1 comment:

  1. After how fabulously you behaved yesterday this is how your human treats you today? Disgraceful. We have to keep these humans in their place or they would just do whatever they want. Can't have humans making the decisions now can we. I have found it useful to let them THINK they are in charge but we know who really is don't we? Well done your human for passing your test. Not sure mine would have done she has a habit of going splat.

    ReplyDelete