Sunday 28 April 2013

Big School Riding Lesson

Last week I had a very big day. Tuesday evening Mum loaded Zippy & I up into the trailer. It had been quite a while since I had been in the trailer, it's always so exciting, so I got a bit hot and sweaty by the time we arrived at Sarah's yard. Fortunately Mum had planned for this, so I had plenty of time to cool down, which was nice because it also meant a lot of extra grooming, so I looked super smart by the time it came to my lesson.

I was a bit awestruck, when we arrived this massive, very handsome bright bay horse was pouncing around looking very smart and posh - evidently practicing something called dressage, it all looked very fancy and unnecessary. However I liked the floaty action and need to try doing that, it looked kinda fun.

We were given the choice between the sand round pen - I had been in there at the end of last year when Mum was learning to ride me before her operation, or the BIG school. Mum insisted on the big school, go Mum, I mean I'm a big boy now and a proper riding horse so I should be allowed in the big school. It was huge, with other horses in the field next to it, bright colourful things around the edge (jumps????) and those mirror things that are in the sand house we used in the winter.

To be honest it was just a little bit spooky but I was super brave and other than one quick bolt to the other end I held it together really well. We started with walk which was easy, though I need to practice my right hand bend - I'm a bit stiff on that side. Then I was allowed to trot and finally I was asked to canter. I can do right hand canter lead quite well, but it took three attempts to get left canter lead but when I did whoopee I went all the way around the school, making the bottom bend and everything - Sarah was very impressed with my balance, but I mean it would be a very stupid pony who would fall over going around the bend!!!!

It's hard work this lesson thing and very tiring, but great fun, wonder when I can go back again? Need some sleep first though, nite, nite horsey friends xxx

1 comment:

  1. You just reminded me I gots a lesson tomorrow! I need to get more bendy on the right too

    ReplyDelete