Friday 7 June 2013

All in a tizz

Sometimes life just gets too much, even for me!

Yesterday we had all had a relaxing day in the sunshine, I am still trying to persuade the girls that they should like each other - but it's hard work.

Mum turned up in the evening and wanted to load Zippy and I into the hot tin can on wheels. I didn't fancy it, so Mum had to load Zippy instead and then I very reluctantly followed. I had no idea where we were heading - it turned out to be another riding lesson but somewhere completely new. It's called Rabson Manor and has massive fields for dressage, other big fields for show jumping and even more fields for cross country - it's massive, you could easily get lost. We arrived and Zippy was left in the trailer to eat hay, I wish sometimes I could be left and Zippy could do all the work.

I'm not too sure why I had got so sweaty in the trailer, I think I was anxious about leaving Katy on her own (though I don't know why whenever we go or come back she looks very relaxed eating grass and behaves like she didn't miss me!). So I was already sweaty when Mum tacked me up, she then got on and feeling a little overwhelmed by the scale of the place and needing to show I was up for it, I put in quite a good rear, which shocked everyone.

We then set off for a field miles away from where we had left Zippy in the trailer. I was accompanied by two gorgeous (huge) mares so that was ok. But we went further and further from Zippy and I was very worried about leaving her in the tin can on her own - even though she was well ventilated and seemed very happy munching on some particularly nice hay.

Finally we arrived at our schooling field, and we started to have a potter around, it was too much for me I just had to do a mini explosion of bucking, rearing, bolting and then napping, by which time Mum was super alert on me and the sky was turning even bluer than it was in the lovely sunshine. I then got freaked by one of the horses cantering around and had another go at a bolt back to Zippy but we were all roped off, so I couldn't reach her - I think I gave Mum a bit of a heart attacked as we were racing towards the rope barrier, fairly out of control but I did pull up in time.

So after a calm talking to and Mum explaining we were safe and it was all ok, there were no monsters and Zippy would still be in the trailer when we got back, I did settle to some work in walk and trot following the big horses around. I did get super sweaty and eventually had to give up because I was just so exhausted, but Mum says I had done some good work and it was good to come to a new place and experience everything.

Finally I led the charge back to the trailer park, I out walked the big horses and neighed to Zippy, and once my tack was off I was allowed some grass, while I had a big wash down to cool me down a bit more. It was very very yummy grass so I decided actually I quite liked the place and didn't want to go home, even though Zippy was already in the trailer waiting for me.

By now Mum was not impressed and was calmly (which I thought was quite impressive considering I thought I might have frayed her nerves somewhat by now and her patience!) talked to me to persuade me into the trailer. I made my point quite clearly by pulling back and giving Mum some impressive rope burns. I was then outwitted as one of the other riders, Nicola, came to give Mum a hand and they cheated me by wrapping the lunge line behind my bum so I had nowhere to go but forwards - humph I had no choice but to load up next to Zippy.

I had cooled off a lot by the time we got home and we were all given our tea, I don't think I got extra rations though!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very difficult day for both you and your Mom. I understand your need to be with Zippy, specially when out with a new herd in a new place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes Cyril, you sure like to test your human, she is a lovely human to stay so calm with you being a bit of a plonker. Guess next time you'll know it'll be ok. Little tip - humans don't like rope burns and rearing, they're not as tough as us.... go gentle on your nice human :)

    ReplyDelete