Monday 10 June 2013

Show Day (Part Two)

6am Mum turned up Sunday morning with Uncle Tony & Aunty Georgie, 6am hello! We were just having breakfast because it was such a nice day - for once Mum didn't catch me napping at that time in the morning.

Rug was still on and intact, so I got brownie points for that.  We were all brought onto the yard and given extra big breakfast rations (very suspicious) while we were attacked once more with brushes and combs and finally the humans declared us ready.  Ready for what?

Well we were ready for the tin can on wheels, Katy went in first but she took my side of the can, which was very confusing because there was not enough room to fit in her behind her, so I was persuaded to go on Zippy's side - this made me a bit nervous because I didn't want to upset Zippy, who I couldn't see.  Then while Mum was tying us up and organising everything Zippy appeared around the corner in the field.  I got a bit panicky at this point and demanded out before she found me on her side.  At this point the humans finally got the message, quickly shut up the doors so Zippy couldn't see I had stolen her side of the tin can and we set off, leaving Zippy behind!

Katy makes a good travel companion and we chatted and ate hay.  We stopped briefly at one point, it turned out to collect Sarah, so I started to demand to be let out, but no sooner had I started to stamp my feet we were off again, so obviously not our stop.  We were in the tin can a long time, at least half a haynet munching time, about 1.5 hours in human time.

We finally arrived at a big field with trees in and a very scary flapping tent thing.  We were let out of the tin can and after a good long check for monsters we realised we were standing on some very yummy grass, so like all good Dales ponies there was only one thing to do, that was settle down and eat!!!!!!

Slowly more ponies and people arrived.  Yet again we were attacked with brushes and combs, humans a pony can only shine so much, if they polished me anymore I swear I was going to start turning bald!  Pretty ribbons were put into our tails - made me look like a wuss, but evidently it is very traditional and has been handed down from grand pony to grand pony, in which case I am happy to uphold the traditions of my ancestors.


By this time the other Dales ponies had explained we were at a show, to be honest I'm still not too sure what that actually means, but hey it looked like it was going to be fun, playing around with other Dales ponies and having a laugh.

It turned out I was going to be first into the ring with all the other boys who were my age or older, we just had to walk around for a bit.  Mum had put me in a sparkling white halter and there was only one other boy in the ring.  To start with we just walked around and around - easy peasey.  Then we had to go say hello to the man standing in the middle, I'm sociable so that was fine, I stood and let him pick up my feet and lift my tail. He starred at me a lot which is quite unnerving but Mum was there so that was ok.  We then had to walk away, phew and then Mum asked me to trot back.  Well I had to show the other gelding, my Mum and everyone watching how big and clever I was, so I made some flying leaps, jumping around and nearly pulling Mum off her feet (evidently not good - opps) Mum calmed me down and then persuaded me all that was needed was a little trot, oh ok so we managed a few steps, but evidently not enough for the man to see me properly.

I thought I did very well, because I got a blue ribbon for coming second, but Mum said the achievement was slightly tainted by only having two ponies in the ring, she calmly explained that had there been lots more we wouldn't have got a ribbon. Human I bring you back a beautiful blue ribbon and still you are not happy. I thought showing off my prowess was a good calculated risk I had to come first or second!

The man suggested that next time I might be better in a bridle, I have no idea what he means I thought I looked desperately handsome in the halter, something about giving Mum more control - personally I thought I had the situation fully under control, though I am not sure Mum felt the same about it!  I'll post some more pictures when I can find the camera - Mums hidden it!

Then it was Katy's turn to show off, she was put in my bridle (hey its brand new and I haven't even worn it yet) and she had a lot more competition, there were seven ponies in her class and rosettes only went to 6th so the pressure was on!

She is my older sister, which makes her clever, like me, but less experienced at people carriage but maybe a little more boring - from experience the older the ponies get the more boring they are.  She was a lot more obedient than me and did everything she was asked, Mum had to run really fast to keep up with her because Katy has a cracking trot on her.  Mum and Aunty Georgie both agreed she should have come 3rd but was actually placed 5th.  Mum was muttering with Aunty Georgie about the politics of showing but both agreed they didn't really know the finer details of the perfect Dales pony confirmation, so they weren't in the best position to judge.  Still Katy left the ring with tonnes of brownie points and got lots of hugs.

After the pressure of our first classes we were given a break, so time for more snacking.  Little did we know what else the humans had in store for us.

To be continued........

4 comments:

  1. Blue for second is an amazing achievent young man we won't mention how many in the class.
    I take great exception at the older we get the more boring we get. Just shows how young you really are. Tsk youngsters.
    Well done Katy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done both of you! Ribbons all round! Looking forward to the next instalments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't matter how many were in the class. You made the effort to scrub him up for the show, get him there and present him in the ring (and entertain the judge,lol) which is more than all the non-entries did! Second is very much deserved. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kingmaker, I really appreciate your outlook, your right we did put a lot of effort in, so yes we will now reflect in the glory of our second place.

    ReplyDelete