Sunday 2 June 2013

Saddles all round

Yesterday was a busy day.  Mum and Uncle Tony arrived at the field in the morning and we were all brought onto the field yard for breakfast.  I escaped but just found more new grass to eat - yummy.  So I got tied back up.  I now park between Zippy and Katy - helps keep the peace!

Once we had all had a quick groom we were walked down to the house yard and tied up there.  Everyone got haynets, yummy and then the lovely Sharon from SC Saddlery turned up to check and fit all our saddles. Katy got to go first as she doesn't have a saddle.  She's only been here four days and she is already getting a saddle fitted.  She tried on Zippy's saddle and was asked to go around in circles in the back paddock, being new here it was all a bit scary and Katy swore she saw monsters in the ditch and really didn't want to go anywhere near it.  Personally I think she still has a sore bottom from where the electric fencing bit her!

Mum calmed her down and just walked her around the paddock for a while.  After in depth discussions Katy tried on another saddle, which pleased Zippy because she has got rather attached to her lightweight synthetic and wasn't looking forward to having to carry around the very nice but quite heavy leather saddle instead.

After some swapping and changing it was decreed that Katy has a lovely brown synthetic saddle that fits!  By now I had major ants in my pants, jumping up and down and spinning around impatiently.  Hurrah at last my turn.  My saddle was fitted and I had my bridle put on and off we went for a jolly around the back garden.  This required some leaping around as I was mindful of what Katy had said about monsters.  I had never seen any in the paddock before but you just never know.  I got a sore bottom for my antics and decided better of leaping around and settled down a little.

My saddle needed a sheep in it, so the lovely Sharon who had stolen some wool from a sheep tucked it into the saddle to make it more comfortable for me and then I had another test run and both Mum and I agreed it felt very nice.  Back on the yard I was still spinning around, Sharon knew  needed a pee but Mum made me wait until I was back in the field.  Phew I felt better after that.

I was hoping we would get a ride it was such nice weather and I now have a super fitting saddle, but no, maybe tomorrow the weather is sooo lovely.

2 comments:

  1. Seems it's saddle time for all of us. How much nicer is it when one fits just right. Not that I complain unless it's really uncomfortable.
    Agree monsters hiding is something to watch out for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to have a lovely saddle with a real sheep in it... or was that just the wool?? Lots of exciting adventures yet to come :-)

    ReplyDelete