Monday 7 January 2013

A new vocation

It has been getting a little boring around here recently. Zippy and I have become very good at 'hanging out' around the stable yard for quite a few weeks now, so we were thrilled when tack appeared from the carrot room - albeit it had gone mouldy - whoops Lynette got a serious telling off from Uncle Tony about letting it get into such bad condition. But it was nothing a quick sponge down couldn't fix.

Zippy is very excited she has got her own new rider now, a lovely lady called Michelle, who Zippy says is as light as a feather so she hardly knows she is carrying anyone, so it doesn't hurt her old poorly legs. Zippy was so excited she cantered across the muddy patch to say hello when Michelle arrived.

We both got a super groom, I had been mud rolling but fortunately I had had the foresight to let it dry, so with some serous elbow grease Lynette had me looking reasonable from the knees up - even I didn't blame her for not attempting to wash the liquid mud off from below the knees.

All tacked up Zippy had Michelle on board and was raring to go. Errrr so what was the plan for me? I had all my tack no but my rider was still in her rolling chair wearing her riding hat. Uncle Tony had come down again to muck out - nice job Uncle xxxx

Well it all got a bit confusing the plan was to long rein me, but seriously how did they expect me to understand forward when I was trying to pull the rolling chair along with my bit!!!! Humans, honestly, I eventually got it through to them that every time they said go, they were pulling stop. Thank god they finally caught on and attached the long reins to my lunge bridle thingy and off we went.

It never occurred to me to spook at Lynette rolling along behind me up the road, mind you it was hard work pulling her up over the railway bridge, Uncle Tony helped take the strain and between us we managed to pull her to the top, mind you we as to watch our heels, she nearly came spinning past us at full pelt on the way down!

It's a quiet road normally accept for today (well Saturday actually I'm a bit behind on my blogging - Lynette pinched the iPad let it run out of battery and then lost it) today there was a local shoot on, at the other end of our single track road, so while I was busy pulling Lynette along we had to keep stopping for a steady stream of trucks and vehicles. Mind you it was funny when Lynette nearly fell in the ditch as she pulled off the road and the chair just kept rolling down the grassy bank to the ditch!

I have to say I'm liking the idea of becoming a driving pony, it may well become my new vocation. We met Uncle Keith and Aunty Mary on the road - they took the picture of Lynette behind me. Zippy wanted her picture on the blog to show off her new rider and we all liked the picture of us kissing Lynette at the end of the ride, so I've put that one on too.

I've never pulled anything before but it was great fun, hope we can do it again soon, off to dream of becoming a driving pony, wonder if Lynette will mind?





1 comment:

  1. Wow Cyril what an amazing boy you are. Things like that would faze most horses but not you. I feel like a very proud mama. Bet Lynette is pleased.
    Zippy you look lovely. So clean.

    ReplyDelete