Friday 23 August 2013

Chased by a Wolf

Wow yesterday was scary, its taken me until now to pull myself together enough to be able to relive the experience while I write this.

Our hack started as normal, Mum had decided I needed to exercise Benji so that meant we were going for a ride around the farm. As usual when I leave Zippy I had to double check Mum was sure she wanted us to go out on our own - you know the usual few sideways and backwards steps.  Mum was sure so then we set off at a good walk.

Just over the canal we met a couple of ladies walking a dog which was on a lead, Benji went to say hello and Mum decided we would head in the opposite direction, so she called Benji and off we went for a trot round the field.  We eventually came back to the beginning and the women were on the canal bridge so we headed up to the really big field, this is away from home again, so I did have to double check Mum was sure, but she was.

We went through the gap and turned right into the field and then I just had to run for my life, I shot forward at a hundred miles an hour, Mum hanging on for grim death wondering what the hell was happening - honestly humans are soooo slow sometimes, she didn't even know we were being chased by a wolf!  Finally she thought to look behind us to see why I was running at such a wild speed, then it dawned on her we were being chased by a wolf.



Initially the agreed action was to keep running but Mum thought that this wasn't a good long term strategy so started to slow me down and turn me to face the wolf.  Benji came to my rescue and stood guard protecting us.

Mum was cursing like a tropper, it turned out the wolf belonged to the two old ladies, we could hear them calling him from over two fields away.  We were a bit stuck, because we knew if we ran again he would chase, there was nothing to do but wait it out.  Mum kept me facing the wolf and every so often encouraged me to take a few steps forward, which meant the wolf backed off a bit, and even Benji realised I was scared and told the wolf to go away, Mum was very impressed with this.

Mum says some people shouldn't be allowed animals and when the lady eventually arrived told her if she couldn't keep her wolf under control it should stay on the lead.  Now you would like to think that was the end of it, but oh no - the wolf had other ideas and just ran around and around me in circles while the lady chased him, he didn't want to go back to her.  The lady was very silly and didn't listen to Mum that she should really keep her distance from me because I was young and scared and might move at any moment.  Well clearly she must have been deaf because she just kept walking around and around in circles so close to me I could have knocked her over if I moved.  So to counteract the lady's stupidity I stood stock still as Mum asked.  Benji even came and sat down in front of me to try and stop the wolf running around.

Well to cut a very long story short she did finally get her wolf under control only after Benji and I had driven it slowly back to her other friend and they finally managed to work a pincher movement on the wolf.

Needless to say I was very wound up and sure there were a hundred other wolves in the hedges around the big field.  Mum made me walk around it twice just to show me and check there were no more wolves.  Well I have to say I did come home a very sweaty mess and I was soooo pleased to see Zippy.

Benji and I got huge hugs for being a super brave pony and doggy and behaving impeccably under very trying circumstances.  I got a lovely cold shower and a big tea so it all ended well, phew.  I was very glad to be home and have a rest.  No sign of Mum yet today, wonder what we will be doing?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, how brave of you and Benji! It is a very good job this wolf did not try to chase our Dragon mule, she doesn't run but fights and is very good at stomping on pesky wolves.... they never come back for a second sniff. Keep brave Cyril, you're our hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We agree some peoples should never have dogs. Our wee little
    Tye agrees to as he'd been attacked by loose dogs twice in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this happened to me almost 2 years ago. Was my human grateful I had saved her from being eaten by two wolves??? No she wasn't. We ended up in the farmers field and human said we should stay by the hedge the other side of the bridlepath so the wolves wouldn't see us. Who should see us.....oh that would be grumpy farmer. He was very understanding though having lost two sheep that year to wolves (another one this year).
    Well done you and a big well done to Benji for helping to protect you all.

    ReplyDelete